Fall is arriving in Calgary, bringing cooler temperatures and the anticipation of winter. Just as we gear up with warm layers and shift our daily routines, our cars also need some prep for the colder months.
Are you ready to drive in Calgary’s unique fall conditions? We’ve crafted a seasonal maintenance checklist to ensure your vehicle is in prime shape:
1. Tire Check
Tires connect your car to the road, so they must be in top shape. A few factors to check:
- Pressure: Temperature changes can impact tire pressure. Regularly monitor and adjust your tire pressure as needed. You can find the recommended PSI in your vehicle’s manual.
- Tread Depth: Tread depth is crucial for safe driving. A simple way to check your tire's tread depth is by using a tread depth gauge, available at most auto parts stores. If the reading is 2/32 of an inch or less, it's time to replace your tires.
- Winter Tires: Calgarians can always anticipate snowy and icy roads. We recommend switching to winter tires since they offer better grip in cold conditions.
Calgary's cold can be taxing on your vehicle’s battery. Ensure your battery’s connections are secure, clean, and free from corrosion. If your battery is 4-5 years old, consider a replacement or at least a performance check.
Clear vision is essential, especially when facing rainy, icy, or snowy conditions. If your wipers leave streaks or fail to completely remove rain or snow, it's time for a new set. Drop by any Mint Auto Service, and we'll help you find the right fit.
Responsive brakes are vital for safety on the road. Squeaking signs or shaking when braking are warning signs. Don't delay - get your brakes inspected to ensure they're working properly.
With daylight shortening, visibility becomes even more crucial. Regularly check all of your lights. If they aren’t shining brightly or are burnt out, replace them. Take an evening walk around your parked car with all lights on to spot any issues.
Imagine the scare of running out of gas on a freezing cold day. During the colder months, always keep your tank at least half full. Keeping the tank half full prevents moisture buildup in fuel lines, reducing the risk of freezing.
Fluids are a lifeline for your vehicle, ensuring it runs smoothly. Be sure to check these fluids:
- Engine Oil: New oil helps your engine work efficiently. When it gets cold, consider switching to winter-grade oil for extra protection. If you need help deciding which oil to choose or if you think you need an oil change, our team can help.
- Coolant/Antifreeze: This fluid keeps your engine from freezing. Check its levels regularly. Unsure how to check? Consult your vehicle’s manual or visit any Mint Auto.
- Windshield Washer Fluid: Consider switching to a winter formula so it doesn’t freeze on your windshield. We also recommend keeping an extra bottle in your trunk just in case you unexpectedly run out while on the road.
8. Hoses & Belts
These parts become brittle in colder temperatures and can snap. While you might not inspect your vehicle’s hoses and belts yourself, your trusted mechanics at Mint Auto will check them during your routine maintenance visit.
9. Heating & Defrosting Systems
Are your heater and defroster working right? Test them in advance so you're not left in the cold. To check your heater, turn it on one cold morning and see if it’s warming your car's interior. For the defroster, activate it on a frosted window and see if it efficiently clears the ice.
10. Block Heater
If your vehicle comes with a block heater, test it during a cooler fall evening. Plug it in, and after a few hours, touch the engine area. A warmer feel indicates it's working. If you don’t notice any warmth, it might need inspection or replacement before winter arrives.
11. Emergency Kit
Having some 'in case of emergency' items in your car is always a good idea. Prepare for unforeseen circumstances with essentials like a blanket, flashlight, snacks, water, a first-aid kit, a small shovel, an ice scraper, and a snow brush.
Calgary's fall season means cooler weather and the promise of winter right around the corner. By following this maintenance checklist, you're ensuring your car is ready. With Mint Auto, you can drive on, enjoying the views of fall, knowing your ride is up to the task.
Trust Mint Auto Service for Your Seasonal Maintenance
When fall-colored leaves blanket the roads and temperatures dip, ensuring your vehicle is primed for the season is paramount. Our certified mechanics are ready to provide top-tier care, prepping your car to navigate the unique challenges of driving in Calgary’s changing seasons.
Visit any of our three convenient Calgary locations:
Bowness | Westbrook | Southeast